Friday, August 10, 2007

Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes

I have recently adopted the practice of counting Weight Watchers points. I'm doing pretty well, I think. After following the plan for about a month, I'm down 12 pounds. I believe in my heart and head that this is a plan I can stick with. This is a "good thing", Martha.

As a part of my grand plan, I have added the counter to the top of my blog to post my progress. As you can see, I have quite a ways to go. (It's amazing how the pounds can find you when you're not looking for them...sleeping must cause weight gain.) I guess posting my progress is falling under the 'accountability' category.

Surely you've heard the same story as mine...I was big all my life, yo-yo'd for years, and gained more weight each time. I was tired of having trouble moving, tired of settling for whatever fit instead of something really cute, tired of skipping social events in favor of watching TV, and tired of being tired all the time. I knew that something had to change, and I knew I'd better do it soon before I was confronted with some major health issue that required a change. (At present, I am SO grateful to be able to say that I have no malady for which medication is necessary.) The catalyst for my change was probably a combination of feeling icky and depressed and seeing recent pictures of myself next to thinner people...I just had no idea I was THAT big...my mind thought my body was smaller than it actually is....soon to be "was".

This is not a commercial for Weight Watchers. I believe that if something works for you, then it works, and no one single plan is for everyone. For me, though, I love the fact that I can eat whatever I want within certain parameters. (And I'm ever thankful for Slim-A-Bear's!) I'm finding, however, that instead of gorging myself on the usual junk til my points are gone, I'm making better choices...eating healthier options, getting 4-5 servings of fruits/veggies in a day - something I NEVER did before, drinking my water, staying within my points, moving more, not using my activity points most days, and choosing wisely how I'm going to use my flex points, if I use them at all. This is not the old me anymore. There's this, well, it's almost a fear of eating poorly again. The best part is that I can see myself thinner and healthier down the road, and I feel my confidence creeping back in.

So, enough of this. I mainly just wanted to explain the counter. Please keep me in your prayers, though. I've been blessed with generally pretty good health so far, despite my weight, and I hope and pray it stays that way years from now because of the choices I'm making now.

1 comment:

Our Red Thread Journey said...

You in my prayers always...no matter what. Lane is down 35 pounds thanks to Weight Watchers points. I just got the books myself. How many points can you have?