Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock...

This is probably more a request for prayers than a plain ol' blog entry. I am in the process of studying for my doctoral comprehensive general exams. They are next week, 9/4-6...4th is foreign language diction testing, 5th is song and operatic literature, and the 6th day is for my minor area of linguistics. I have pretty much all of the information I'm going to compile stuffed into one big fat notebook, and from time to time, I'll actually look at it and study.

The remainder of my time is being spent on a paper that is to be written in lieu of a linguistics exam on the third day. It needs to be submitted by/on Saturday, 9/1...though my professor would probably be more appreciative if it found its way to him on Friday instead.

So here's the "issue" for me...So far, the minor area linguistics paper has come out of my head...very little research (though there has been some, and those few sources will be cited, of
course) other than checking my textbooks/notes/etc. to verify correct terms, to spur example ideas, etc. He's given me a lot of wiggle room, but as a result I'm feeling quite tentative and not sure what I'm supposed to do if I have few outside sources and research other than my textbooks and notes, especially considering this is supposed to be representative of doctoral level work. So, I'm a little bit afraid right now that my general knowledge on paper won't be adequate, and my professor (though he's really a nice man and wouldn't purposefully require additional work just for his own amusement) will require some down and dirty research to substantiate my knowledge that will need to be done in the last few days that I am hoping to use for concentrated preparation for the other exams.

Anyway, please say little prayers for my paper, for my studies, and for my exams. I'm going to need them at this point. Thank you SO much...and God bless you!!

No comments: